Friday, August 24, 2007

Raised bed (sort of) building

In the interests of recycling (and reducing the amount of weeding I do) I decided to build a raised bed. I got one 3ft pallet and part of a 4ft pallet from Freecycle and got to work.

Step 1 - dismantle pallets. This was the hard bit! There was no way I could get the 4ft pallet apart so I made do with 4 decent slats from it. The smaller one was easier.
Step 2 - build a box 4ft x 3ft, two slats high (about 20cm).
Step 3 - remove turf from the box location and stack it upside down, rake excavated area flat.
Step 4 - Line excavated area with double layer of weed suppressant fabric. Put another double layer over the removed turf (well, it was thin cheapo fabric)!
Step 5 - Put box in position. Fill with mixture of growbag and vermiculite, about a 2:1 ratio.
Step 6 - mark out square feet with string (actually worked out as 11inch squares, I'm sure the cabbages won't care).
Step 7 -plant stuff

I realised exactly what the cats would make of a big box full of crumbly compost and added a lid made from an old secondary glazing (I think) plastic sheet that I found in the shed, courtesy of the previous owner.


So here it is - the turf came out to quite a depth so it is a half-sunken-raised bed.




Elsewhere on the allotment: the caulis are looking good.

Little, and...

large.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya, nice to see you are keeping busy. Well done getting the caulis in...we had a few earlies but have only got some purple sprouting in for winter...no cauli or sprouts! Oh dear. I think i'm gonna plant loads of carrots in preparation for xmas dinner! Your raised bed looks brill too - i find chili powder is the best cat deterrent...they don't come back after they've licked that off their fur!