Friday, July 27, 2007

What's growing where?

This is turning into a photo blog rather than a wordy one - been out with the camera again! I seem to have a mix of garden flowers, veg and native British wildflowers (in the wrong places). Here goes...

In the back garden:
We decided we wanted a pergola on the terrace. We can drape the grape vine over it and let the honeysuckle trail over too. Doesn't look like much yet!


The mr getting on with it.

We had to stop after I whacked my finger with the mallet (it bounced) and he got blisters. However, the top section is just about done.


In the front garden:


One of the dahlias I got from Wilko - a pack of three tubers for almost no money. Rather pretty, as it turns out!


Another of the cheapo dahlias. The third one isn't flowering yet.


Morning Glory. I sowed loads of seeds, about 6 germinated and two survived long enough to be planted out. Both are flowering reluctantly. They are in a very shady spot though - I hoped they would grow through the hedge. Perhaps I should have left in some of the bindweed!


Penstemon - can't remember which variety but I probably stashed the little plastic thingy with all the details somewhere. It's gorgeous.


Some purple stuff - again, I need to find my stash of "things I'll put in a safe place because I'm bound to want them again." The original plant died off and I got a circle of new plants from the roots. Better tidy it up a bit this autumn because I think it could happily spread all over the garden. It is possible to have too much of a good thing!


Lobelia. I have a red one (here) and a purple one which is just about to start flowering. I love these! The dahlia behind it has since been staked up a bit.


Is that a GAP?!?! Surely not...


And in the allotment:


The last sowing of peas (meteor) seems to be OK.


The maincrop tatties (desiree), haulms dying back. I've been obsessive about checking for signs of blight this year - lost all my tomatoes last year.


The JAs. Well over 6ft high.


Squash.


Squash problem - they're falling off and rotting.


Courgette flower. I've had about 8 courgettes off this plant, it's producing just enough for me. We had 4 plants last year and couldn't keep up.


Swede (magres) looking promising! I planted about three dozen of these altogether. Yes, I do love swede! Last time I tried to grow swede was in a freak heatwave in Glasgow yonks ago. Looks like they'll be a bit better this time.


Alas poor romanesco - most of those that started producing heads have blown.


Native British Wildflowers in the wrong place (well OK then... weeds):


Scarlet pimpernel (and some bindweed)


Speedwell (and some more bindweed)


Wild strawberry (I'm not uprooting this!)


Black Medick (free green manure?)


Not sure... Ground Ivy?

No comments: